Friday, May 28, 2010

Things I Learned Today


Today, I spent the day with my best friend, her husband, and her family. We went upstate to a beautiful commercial village where bored people go to spend money on stupid things. Here are some things I learned today:

1) Life changing events are not things that happen in a crescendo of sound and music and dramatic camera angles. They happen in small moments, in nonchalant comments, in passing suggestions, in the blink of an eye, or in the skip of a heartbeat. Or both.

2) Pizza is not overrated.

3) I can blink back tears quite successfully, but I cannot effectively hide how I'm feeling inside.

4) Scenery can actually become visibly duller when you hear something you didn't want to hear.

5) As sad as some things are, and as horrible as some things are, it always catches me off guard how I am not surprised by the cruelty of people, by the way they take advantage, or by their constant short comings. And that is truly sad.

"Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward." - Robert C. Gallagher

Let's hope so. Otherwise, this is getting old. And so am I.




No comments:

Post a Comment