Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Box


Today I received a box
That I had sent months ago
It was a pretty, pretty box
That held things that no one knows

The box has stars and things
Really a box within a box
A pretty, pretty box, with goodies and strings
Holding sweetness, love, and clocks

The box contained a letter
A letter that was never read
A letter that held a promise
Of things that were never said

I sat beneath the sun
With the box, packaging and such
And began to throw out the things
That had once meant so much

I read the letter one more time
Words I thought other eyes would see
But alas, they were never read
By anyone else but me

I ripped the letter slowly
As I watched children play
And folded the gift paper gently
To use for another day

I kept the pretty box
It was too pretty to throw away
Perhaps I'll use it another time
Anytime but today







No comments:

Post a Comment